Warwickshire batsman Sam Hain has been called up, along with Hampshire batsman Sam Northeast, for the England Lions Series versus West Indies A following an injury to Essex batsman Dan Lawrence.
Hain (22) had already been selected for the annual ECB North South Series in Barbados, which follows the Lions tour, and has now been called up for the Lions One-Day squad after scoring 996 runs for the Bears in the Royal London One-Day Cup over the past two seasons.
He will join the Lions squad on Wednesday after training with the Warwickshire squad inside the marquee at Edgbaston today (Monday).
Lawrence had been set to play in the third Test of the Lions series with West Indies A in Antigua, which starts tonight (Monday). But suffered a blow to his right hand during net practice on Saturday, and x-rays have confirmed a fracture which rules him out of both the Test, and the three-match one-day series that follows in Antigua.
Northeast, who had been due to join the squad later this week ahead of the one-day series, has answered the call and arrived in Antigua late on Sunday – meaning that all being well, he will make his Lions debut at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, with a few extra hours to acclimatise as the match does not start until 230pm local time (630pm GMT).
Lions one-day squad:
- K Jennings (capt)
- J Clarke (Worcestershire)
- S Curran (Surrey)
- J Porter (Essex)
- P Coughlin (Nottinghamshire)
- S Mahmood (Lancashire)
- N Gubbins (Middlesex)
- A Davies (Lancashire, wk)
- S Northeast (Hampshire)
- D Bess (Somerset)
- M Parkinson (Lancashire)
- M Critchley (Derbyshire)
- R Gleeson (Northamptonshire)
- T Roland-Jones (Middlesex)
- S Hain (Warwickshire)
- March 4: Tour Match – Vivian Richards Cricket Ground, Antigua
- March 6 – v West Indies A – Coolidge Cricket Ground, Antigua
- March 9 – v West Indies A – Coolidge Cricket Ground, Antigua
- March 11 – v West Indies A – Coolidge Cricket Ground, Antigua