England selectors have named Warwickshire all-rounder Chris Woakes in a 15-man squad for the Royal London ODI series against Pakistan starting on Wednesday August 24 at Ageas Bowl, Southampton.
The Durham pair of Ben Stokes and Mark Wood have been rewarded for their positive responses to injuries with their inclusion.
Stokes has recovered from a torn calf muscle when bowling in the third Investec Test against Pakistan at Emirates Old Trafford late last month, and is set to add to his tally of 39 ODI appearances – the last against South Africa in Cape Town in February.
Wood, who has not played for England since an ankle injury sustained in last winter’s series against Pakistan in the UAE which has required two operations, has made an impressive return in recent weeks with both Durham and England Lions.
England’s squad includes two more players who have been sidelined by injury in recent weeks – wicketkeeper Jos Buttler, who has not played since suffering a fractured thumb playing for Lancashire at Worcester on July 8, and captain Eoin Morgan, who chipped a bone in his little finger during a Royal London One-Day Cup match in Taunton on July 26. Both players will be fit and ready to play in the series.
Hampshire all-rounder, Liam Dawson is the only player uncapped in the squad. Dawson made an impressive international debut in the NatWest IT20 against Sri Lanka at his home county ground the Ageas Bowl in July.
England ODI Squad
- Eoin Morgan (Middlesex) (Capt.)
- Moeen Ali (Worcestershire)
- Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire)
- Jos Buttler (Lancashire)
- Liam Dawson (Hampshire)
- Chris Jordan (Sussex)
- Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire)
- Liam Plunkett (Yorkshire)
- Adil Rashid (Yorkshire)
- Joe Root (Yorkshire)
- Jason Roy (Surrey)
- Ben Stokes (Durham)
- David Willey (Yorkshire)
- Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
- Mark Wood (Durham)
Royal London One-Day International Series
- Wednesday August 24, England vs Pakistan, Ageas Bowl, Southampton
- Saturday August 27, England vs Pakistan, Lord’s Cricket Ground, London
- Tuesday August 30, England vs Pakistan, Trent Bridge, Nottingham
- Thursday September 1, England vs Pakistan, Headingley, Leeds
- Sunday September 4, England vs Pakistan, SSE SWALEC, Cardiff